A Home Builder and Woodworker residing in Cameron Park, California

A site showcasing my work from home building, to woodworking, to many other projects. Look around and leave a comment if you feel like doing so, they are appreciated. If you live in Northern California and are looking to have something done along the lines of what you see in the pictures, let me know. I would love to help.

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

A sectional couch for Lyon's Orthodontics

The hardest part of this project was building it in my single car garage, which was literally full front to back/ floor to wall with my equipment.
I had never done an upholstered piece before and the construction was easier than I thought it would be. Two big things I needed to consider during this project were;#1- weight, they are 3' high and 12' long and I had to make them light for transport and #2-strength, for they'll be sat on close to 100 times a day in an Orthodontist's waiting room. Besides the cramped shop area, the next hardest part of this project, I remember, was the rounded turn. The seat-back was slightly leaned back (about 5-6 degrees) and curved to 90 degrees. Once I figured out how to cut and wrap the thin ply-wood around the bends-it was all down hill. I had it covered with vinyl. This one opened up some doors for comfortable seating solutions for future waiting rooms, couches, around breakfast nooks or restaurant seating. After people saw this installed I started getting all kinds of furniture requests.

No comments:

Post a Comment