A Home Builder and Woodworker residing in Cameron Park, California

A site showcasing my work from home building, to woodworking, to many other projects. Look around and leave a comment if you feel like doing so, they are appreciated. If you live in Northern California and are looking to have something done along the lines of what you see in the pictures, let me know. I would love to help.

Thursday, January 27, 2011

1/2 of last week: Repairing and refinishing a solid oak floor


 The Wilde family needed about half their homes 11-year-old solid oak flooring repaired.  There were a lot of areas that were damaged by scratches and water.  In the kitchen and dining areas the flooring had 1/8 in gaps between boards.  I marked the floor with tape to outline the problem areas, then sanded the floor to remove the finish and remove the scratches and dings.  I used a commercial drum sander first with 36, 50, 80, and 100 grit papers.  I used a commercial 9" orbital sander (edger) to get areas close to the walls, corners, and under cabinets.  I used a couple of 6" orbital palm sanders using progressively higher grit papers to finish the details.
Next, I filled in all the cracks, gaps and holes with a quality wood filler using a trowel and putty knife.
 Then I sanded it all down again with just the two palm sanders and 150, 180 grit papers.  Then I vacuumed the floor very well and felt with my hand to make sure EVERY little piece of dust was off the floor.
 Here is the wood-filler product I used for this floor.
 Next, it was ready for some stain touch-up on the maple inlay and a first coat of polyurethane.  Notice the large fan in the back window.  When finishing a floor you have to be very defensive against fume inhalation and fire.  A build up of toxic fumes could ignite like a bomb with just the flip of a light switch.  I don't use portable lights or other power tools until the floor is dry the next day.  I opened all the windows and used two fans to circulate air in and out.
 Next, I sanded the first coat using palm sanders and 220 grit papers.  Then I removed all the dust from the house again.
I forgot to take a picture with the final coat but will when I go back to collect my furniture dolly and other tools.

No comments:

Post a Comment